For my birthday a couple of months back, my friend & ex co-worker Jen gave me this cupcake kit that was the most adorable thing I have ever seen. I squealed, giggled and hugged the package to my bosom, and was ecstatic for the rest of the day. You see, the cupcake kit came with two dainty and flowery designs for cupcake liners, and the most delicate and beautiful princess cupcake toppers I have ever seen. Thank you once again, Jen!
Too. Much. Cuteness. I. Cannot. Handle. It.
There are four princess in total, two redheads and two blondes, and they each have a different dress and are just to die for. As you can see, just writing about them makes me giddy. It took me a while to think of a cupcake that would be worthy of these princesses: without further ado, let me introduce to you the royal chocolate hazelnut cupcakes I baked and topped off with cream cheese frosting and butterfly sprinkles. The cupcakes were moist and nutty and chocolatey and everything I could have hoped for – but I think I enjoyed them just that much more because the toppers are so gosh-darn adorable.
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter. softened
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease your cupcake tins.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, ground hazelnuts, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes. The mix should be pale and thick.
- Add in the butter. Mix until combined.
- Now, add in the buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 increments, making sure that everything is smooth. Lumpy is not good!
- Now, spoon evenly into the cupcake tins. These rise a bit, and then fall in the centre, so you don’t have to be too worried about spilling over.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. If some of them haven’t dropped in the centre during baking, they will now while they are cooling off. No worries, that’ll give you plenty of room to pipe in some delicious cream cheese frosting!
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes however you see fit.