(adapted from Deb at Smitten Kitchen)
- 40 salted soda crackers
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds slices
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- First, let’s make the pecan praline. In a pan, toast the pecans over medium heat while watching and stirring carefully. Once you can smell the pecans toasting (about 5 to 8 minutes) add in the sugar, and mix well. Stir continuously, making sure the sugar melts thoroughly and doesn’t burn. The goal is to caramelize the sugar without turning too dark and bitter. It should turn nice and brown and smell like delicious caramel. Spread onto a sheet of parchment paper and refrigerate until you’re ready for it later.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet completely with foil, and then line the base of the foil with parchment paper, cut to fit.
- Line the bottom of the baking sheet with crackers, covering all parts.
- In a medium heavy-duty saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and stir it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it has begun boiling, let it bubble for three more minutes, stirring it well. It will thicken a bit as it cooks. Remove from the heat and add the salt and vanilla, and then quickly pour it over the matzo or crackers. You’ll want to spread it quickly, as it will begin to set as soon as it is poured.
- Bake the caramel-covered crackers for 15 minutes, watching carefully as it will bubble and the corners might darken too quickly and/or burn. You can reduce the heat if you see this happening.
- Take your praline out of the fridge and break into small pieces.
- Remove your caramel-covered crackers from the oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Let stand five minutes, and then spread them evenly across the caramel. An offset spatula works great here. Now, sprinkle the chocolate with the praline pieces and the toasted almonds. If you want, drizzle more chocolate on top.
- Once completely cool (just pop it into the fridge for 20 minutes), break it into pieces and store it in a container.
- Test out your willpower by eating only once – and then watch your willpower fail you.