Yes, yes, I know that it’s been a very long time since I posted something new. But life has been busy, between school, work and living life. It was Daisy’s birthday last Saturday, so I thought it would only be fair to do her dessert wish. The birthday was a blast, and I finished these babies up, so all she now has to do is trek downtown and pick them up for some yumminess. She said she wanted “hmmm.. some kind of delicious cake (cheesecake?) with DARK chocolate, strawberries and.. custard.”
After tossing a few recipes and ideas around, I thought I’d make these super adorable, delicious, and not-too-heavy brownie cheesecake cups which are then topped with a creamy strawberry mousse. I decided to substitute the custard wish with the mousse, since she said she’d eat anything I bake anyway =)
I modified my favourite brownie recipe, added the cream cheese topping and swirled away to make these as pretty as possible. I have decided that my min muffin tins are one of the best inventions in the world, since EVERYTHING looks way cuter in mini form. It’s ALL about looking cute and tasting yumm. The strawberry mousse was easy, and adds a nice splash of colour – not to mention the tastiness.
Bon Appetit, mon amis!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz of unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt1 (8 oz) low fat cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of sugar300 g fresh strawberries
- 3 1/2 ounces water
- 5 1/2 ounces caster sugar
- 4 tsp powder gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix just until all ingredients are moistened and mix is smooth.
- Spread brownie mixture into prepared baking pan.
- For the topping beat the cheese, egg and sugar until smooth. Dollop the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter. Swirl together using a toothpick.
- Bake for 25 to 33 minutes or until brownies just begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Wash and hull the strawberries and place in a sauce pan. Add the water, caster sugar, and gelatin and simmer until all the gelatin dissolves. Cool the mixture thoroughly and blend the mixture in a blender or food processor until the mixture is pureed.
- Beat the cream in a separate bowl until just thickened, not soft or stiff peaks! Be careful not to overbeat the cream which will result in a stiff mousse. Fold in the strawberry puree mixture and mix until well blended.
- Scoop into a piping bag, and top each brownie cheesecake cup with strawberry mousse. Keep refrigerated and share!