This week, it was Terri’s turn to have her dessert request made. She chose caramel, marshmallow and chocolate (as long as it wasn’t dark chocolate). I didn’t want to make a cookie, since I’ve been making plenty of those as of late, and I didn’t want to make tarts, since Caitlin got those already. So, after much deliberation, I came to the decision that she would get a decadent, sweet-til-it-kills-you pie. This is Terri’s Picture Perfect Pie, since I had way too much fun snapping shots of it while cutting and arranging it on a plate. The pie is made with a toffee shortbread crust, filled with melted marshmallows and a gooey caramel filling, and then topped off with a thick and rich chocolate ganache layer. And then, for good measure, broken pieces of (homemade!!) toffee adorned the pie. Yum! Have a look at what Terri will be eating for the next little while!
Toffee Shortbread Crust:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup toffee crumbs (recipe found here, and you just give it a whiz in the food processor until they look like graham cracker crumbs)
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until completely smooth.
- Add the flour, toffee and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Pat the dough into a fluted 8 or 9 inch pie pan. Bake the crust at 15 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows OR 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- When the pie crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle with mini marshmallows and return to the oven for 4 minutes until they melt. Using a spoon, just spread the mixture around, and set aside.
- If using the marshmallow fluff, there is no need to return to oven. Simply spread it onto the base after the crust has cooled, and set aside.
Caramel Filling (adapted from In The Night Kitchen):
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Stir sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil until syrup is amber color, brushing down sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cream, butter, vanilla and salt (mixture will bubble up).
- Return pan to very low heat; stir until caramel is smooth and color deepens, about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate uncovered until cold but not firm, about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, spoon over the marshmallow layer, and spread out smoothly. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- Melt the heavy cream and chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals.
- Mix until smooth and totally dissolved.
- Spoon over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with chunks of homemade toffee.
- Refigerate for at least an hour, and keep in fridge until serving it.
- Make sure not to wear white clothes while eating this – and remember: share!