It was the Boy’s 22nd birthday on Wednesday, and after wowing him with the snickerdoodles on Vday, I had to think of yet another way to surprise &delight him and his tummy. So, after much deliberation, I decided to bake him his favourite cake: carrot cake. However, since it was just going to be a small birthday dinner, I didn’t want to make a whole cake, so I turned that idea into birthday carrot cake cupcakes!
The recipe turned out really well, after some tweaking on my part, which were done purely according to mine and the Boy’s personal taste.
The best carrot cake I ever had used pineapple in the recipe, and although the recipe I found on AllRecipes.com got rave reviews, it missed the pineapple. So, I decided to add it and cut back on the oil, which worked our juuuuust fine. I also changed it from just using white sugar to using half brown and half white sugar. I added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon, as well as all spice, nutmeg and cloves, because I find it gives the cake more depth.
Oh, and I didn’t have pecans on hand, so I just omitted them.
adapted from AllRecipes.com
This made 2 dozen cupcakes.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white and brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and all spice. Stir in carrots. Fold in crushed pineapple. Pour into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer out and let cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes however you see fit.
- Serve and prepare to make them stop eating after 3 cupcakes before they explode.