Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries, cherries: yum yum yum. Sadly, they are not in season right now, and are ridiculously expensive to buy except for two weeks ago, when they had organic blueberries on sale for 3/$5 – which is when I made two blueberry lemon crumble pies!
Delicious, easy to make and even somewhat healthy 😉
I don’t have a very good picture, since people started eating it before I remembered to whip out my camera. But trust me on this one, people: it is utopia for your tastebuds! I got the recipe from allrecipes.com =)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of two lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10 to 15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Nom nom nom.